Re: Supporting wireless as good as possible on official images

• Read this conversation very carefully. Whatever the issues may be, most of the new/inexperienced users of Gnu/Linux system are facing their wireless devises do not working properly (I am talking about Debian Live). At least two or three users requested me to fix this over phone.

• But personally, I do not like to include non-free modules in Debian, which will corrupt the system.

• Is there any other alternatives to fix this issue? I'm so curious.

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> wrote:
On 06/02/2010 11:30 PM, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> 1. Create a wireless.README (or sth) which explains what to do to enable wireless

do you volunteer to write one?

> 2. Include build-essential and linux-headers-$(uname -r) packages in the livecd, so that building
> modules (if needed) is as easy as possible.

waste of space; users of the default images should read the readme and
install them when needed.

people building their own should get the required firmware packages
through the packages list with enabled non-free, just as Richard said.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email:          daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net