Re: Supporting wireless as good as possible on official images

Greetings,

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:
> On Friday 04 June 2010 01:04:29 Richard Nelson wrote:
>> How about just making a list say like wireless-minimal and
>> wireless-gnome and include all you think is needed for wireless. Then
>> folks who want that will have a couple of choices.
>
> I don't think that including a good network-manager application is the issue. Those are (afaik) part
> of main and can therefor be included in an official livecd.

I was not referring to a network manager. I was offering sample names
for lists such as listed in /usr/share/live-helper/lists

> Where I do see the main issue is that for a wireless device to be used, you usually need firmware and
> most firmware is part of non-free and can therefor not be included in Debian or DebianLive.

Well users can override with --archive-areas ARCHIVE_AREA|"ARCHIVE_AREAS"
           defines which package archive areas of a debian packages
archive should be used for configured debian package mirrors. By
default, this is set
           to main. Remember to check the licenses of each packages
with respect to their redistributability in your juristiction when
enabling  contrib
           or non-free with this mechanism.

> It's basically the same as with d-i. To install Debian with only a wireless device, you probably
> should've found http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ where they speak of "tarballs of
> common firmware packages", extracted that and put the relevant .debs onto a stick and provide that
> during install.
> Certainly, it's doable if you know what to do and where to look, but especially ppl new to debian
> and/or linux probably won't find that info and just think that debian/linux doesn't support wireless
> or sth like that.
>
> So I am looking for ways to make it as simple as possible to use wireless even if the
> firmware/drivers can't be shipped in an official debian live cd.

But why not make it easy to build where it is ok to do so for a given
user. If a list could be crafted to test with conditions to include
all kinds of wireless stuff from non-free if LH_ARCHIVE_AREAS has
non-free in the list. So maybe something like (completely untested
example):

#if ARCHIVE_AREAS non-free
firmware1
firmware2
#endif

This seems to have value for the ppl who might want to build Debian
Live images for ppl to use wireless that are new to Debian.