Re: Supporting wireless as good as possible on official images

On Friday 04 June 2010 01:04:29 Richard Nelson wrote:
> How about just making a list say like wireless-minimal and
> wireless-gnome and include all you think is needed for wireless. Then
> folks who want that will have a couple of choices.

I don't think that including a good network-manager application is the issue. Those are (afaik) part
of main and can therefor be included in an official livecd.
Where I do see the main issue is that for a wireless device to be used, you usually need firmware and
most firmware is part of non-free and can therefor not be included in Debian or DebianLive.

It's basically the same as with d-i. To install Debian with only a wireless device, you probably
should've found http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ where they speak of "tarballs of
common firmware packages", extracted that and put the relevant .debs onto a stick and provide that
during install.
Certainly, it's doable if you know what to do and where to look, but especially ppl new to debian
and/or linux probably won't find that info and just think that debian/linux doesn't support wireless
or sth like that.

So I am looking for ways to make it as simple as possible to use wireless even if the
firmware/drivers can't be shipped in an official debian live cd.