Re: Suppress kernel messages on the sytem console

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:44:07PM +0100, Olof Tångrot wrote:
> Daniel Baumann skrev:
> > Olof Tångrot wrote:
> >> Is there some kind of kernel option that can be set by syslinux or any
> >> other way to suppress the kernel messages?
> >
> > boot with 'quiet' and set a custom printk value in /etc/sysctl.conf.
> >
> Somehow both these suggestions has the unwanted side effect that a
> diskmounter script run from rc.local has become unstable.
> Most of the time it fails to mount the extra partition but if I mounted
> manually before reboot it might pass.
>
> If I restore sysctl.conf or remove quiet from the boot options the
> system behaves as before.
>
> Any tips on what might be wrong are welcome.

On our system where we have text-based menus on the first console, but
where kernel messages may often be informative, I redirect them to a
different virtual console with setlogcons:

  setlogcons 10  # redirect messages to /dev/tty10

If you ever need to restore:

  setlogcons ''  # redirect console messages to /dev/tty (the default)

I do that in a init script script rather late in the boot process.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com