Re: (last) call for patches to live-helper 1.x

2009/10/28 mictlan tecutli <mictlan.tecutli.0@gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> one thing that has been mentioned on this list, but for which there
> doesn't yet seem to be a good fix for is separating out the console and
> x keyboard options. as previously mentioned by another poster if my
> keyboard is latin american have the choice of setting
> LH_BOOTAPPEND_LIVE="keyb=latam" in which characters
> specific to latin american languages work in X but not in console. on
> the other hand if i specify the working console (which if i remember
> correctly is "keyb=la-latin1") layout with the  LH_BOOTAPPEND_LIVE option
> these characters do not work in X.
>
> i don't have a patch, nor am i sure where to start hacking on this. for
> the moment we are working around the problem by using "keyb=es" which of course is not ideal but seems to be as good as it gets. is it feasible to add and "xkeyb=" option for the various cases where there name of the layout differs between X and console? then i could do:
>
> LH_BOOTAPPEND_LIVE="keyb=la-latin1 xkeyb=latam"

debian-live uses console-setup for keyboard setup which aims to make
the keyboard layout setup uniform across console and X.
This seems to be pushed as the standard way of setting up console
(some unstable packages depend on it) so you should probably raise
your concerns with console-setup maintainer.

In the meantime you can write a custom hook that just unconditionally
sets your keyboard layout the way you want.

Thanks

Michal