Re: ext4 harddrive partitions and persistency

On Fri 23 October 2009 01:18:46 pm Ronny Standtke wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am using Debian Live on a USB flash drive with persistency. Today I
> wanted to start it on a computer that is equipped with a harddrive that
> contains an ext4 partition (/dev/sda7). Booting the Debian Live system
> failed with the following error message:
>
> Cannot mount /dev/sda7 on /live-rw-backing, fstype=ext3, options=rw
>
> Trying to mount it manually in the provided shell results in the following
> error message:
>
> [ timestamp...] EXT3-fs: sda7: couldn't mount because of unsupported
> optional features (240).
> mount: mounting /dev/sda7 on /live-rw-backing failed: Invalid argument
>
> Can someone else confirm this issue? I would be very glad if this issue
> would be fixed in live-initramfs 1.x.
>
> Best regards
>
> Ronny

Ronny,

As it happens I just read a thead on another list about this. This may be your
problem:

The ext3 file system is partially forward compatible with ext4, that is, an
ext4 filesystem can be mounted as an ext3 partition (using "ext3" as the
filesystem type when mounting). However, if the ext4 partition uses extents
(a major new feature of ext4), then the ability to mount the file system as
ext3 is lost. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4)

HTH!

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------