Re: live-helper should support multiple repositories (stable and sid)

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 02:15:57PM +0500, surreal wrote:
> There must be some way to allow multiple repositories to be enabled during
> builds. Many times we want latest gnome version in a live cd, but sid repo
> dosent seem to have squashfs-tools or other packages which can be accessed
> from lenny. Wanted to try empathy. But the lenny repo has got old edition
> where many features are missing..
>
> The very purpose of live cd's is to try out cutting edge packges, test them
> and make them stable as possible.
>
> But if I create a live cd using older versions of debian stable, people say
> that ubuntu is more better option.

The live CD shows Debian distributions as they are. I'm not really sure
that Debian Live is the place to fix this. Many of us remember Knoppix
systems with broken apt sources that are nither Stable nor Unstable.

However to answer your technical question:

Mixing Stable and Unstable won't simply work. There are known methods to
make this somewhat work. E.g. using backports.org . Have you tried
adding backports.org as an extra source and adding select packages from
there using an apt preferences file?

(For the record: I haven't. A quick look at lh_chroot_apt shows that some
care is taken to edit the preferences file)

Do you want to contribute your time to check that? Will you be around to
support users of such a live CD?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com