Re: xdebconfigurator

On 2009-09-29 stephen_b_allen@tiscali.co.uk wrote:
> Once again thanks for you interest, Diederik de Haas. I take your point
> about debian-x list and will try there.
> Just to complete this cycle here, I have listed the info you asked
> for. I have kept to the single PC, IBM with geforc4 and list the
> outputs.
> I appear to have almost nothing in my debian-live xorg-conf but I do
> not know how to approach the problem.
>
> Sorry this is quite long:
> lspci | grep VGA
> -------------------
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4
> MX 440] (rev a3)
>
> Debian Live builder info
> --------------------------
> sudo lh_config -d lenny -a i386 -p "kde-core 01_package_add" -b net --
> net-root-path /nfsroot2 --net-root-server 192.168.1.19 --net-tarball
> none|gzip  --bootappend xdebconf --bootappend-live "locale=en_GB.UTF-8
> keyb=uk timezone=Europe/London" --categories "main contrib non-free"

> Debian-Live
> ------------
> X.Org X Server 1.4.2
> Release Date: 11 June 2008
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux Debian (xorg-server 2:1.4.2-10.lenny2)
> Current Operating System: Linux debian 2.6.26-2-486 #1 Wed Aug 19 05:
> 40:02 UTC 2009 i686
> Build Date: 08 June 2009  09:12:57AM
>
> xorg.conf
> ----------
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "kbd"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "uk"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection

This is kind of what I expected :-)
You're building an image for Lenny, which has X version 1.4.
The xorg.conf you have, would be more expected for X version 1.6 in which X pretty much configures
itself, unless it fails to do so and then you'd add lines to your xorg.conf to 'correct' that.
But X version 1.4 needs the info from xorg.conf and being it nearly empty is probably the cause of
your problems.

If I were you I'd drop the xdebconfigurator, since the bug report I mentioned earlier doubted it's
usefulness for Lenny. And xdebconfigurator adds another element to the mix ... and the less the
better.

What you can do with your live-cd is run (as root or through sudo) "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"
which should generate a proper xorg.conf (to start from).
I think it would try the vesa driver first (driver "vesa" in the Device section) and if that works
(or not) the nv driver (driver "nv") and if that works, great.
If not, you can try to use the various nvidia-*-legacy-96xx packages (kernel + glx), but for 486 it
looks like you have to compile it yourself.
A great HOWTO can be found here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10812 but remember to
replace stuff like "nvidia-kernel-source" with "nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-source" (-legacy-96xx is
the key here).
If you'd build an image for 686 you can use the precompiled packages from the repository.

You could also try to use the xorg.conf from Knoppix, but my impression of it is that it is kind of
a mess, but you can of course 'steal' things from there if the above suggestions don't work.

And when you've got an xorg.conf that works for you, add it to the appropriate folder before calling
lh_build so it gets placed in the proper location of your live-cd.

Good luck!

Diederik

PS: I have no clue/idea how to configure xorg.conf so it would work on all the various types of
graphics cards/monitors, but maybe the ppl at debian-x do.