Re: Booting Debian-live-501 over HTTP

2009/9/26 Pravin <shindepravin@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/9/26 Michal Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz>:
>>

>> What libraries did you copy?
>>
> Here are the libraries copied.
> http://boot.kernel.org/bko/live/debian/initmod/libs/
>
> There might be few more libraries copied than needed.

I guess you need some of the libnss stuff. Probably libnss_dns and
possibly libnss_compat.

Try adding them to the live hook tokgether with the iscsiadm binary.

The rest should be copied automatically as required by the binary copy function.

>> You would have to relink every binary copied to initramfs with ulibc.
>> This is not feasible because you would have to download the sources of
>> appropriate packages and rebuild them in a non-standard environment in
>> which many packages may fail to build simply because ulibc does not
>> provide all features they require.
>>
> Sorry, but I am not sure if I get your point.
> If I statically link one program with ulibc, why do I need to worry about other
> binaries?

If you just compile a resolver and run anything that does not look
like an IP through it that would also work.

However, adding the glibc bit for resolving through DNS should work
too, and without any additional scripting.

>> If you are using debial-live to build a netbootable Ubuntu then this
>> is probably the right place. I recall seeing some code for Ubuntu in
>> live-initramfs.
> networkManager and networking scripts from Ubuntu are proving problems
> for netbooting.  Netbooting works fine when I delete/disable these scripts.
> but when these scripts are enabled, netbooting never succeeds.
> I was wondering, where can I get help on these scripts.

Probably at Ubuntu side because in Debian network manager is not
required part of the system (and there should be a package called
something like administrator-sanity which conflicts with network
manager and a few others). The networking scripts in Debian do fail
sometimes, try removing all the dhcp pre-up (or something like that)
scripts which are called with the network down and may cause a short
lockup or complete boot failure. If you do not know which ones just
remove all of them to be sure, they probably don't do anything vital
for a live system. They are useful for adapting services to changes in
network configurations such as when connecting a notebook to different
networks.

HTH

Michal