Re: Booting Debian-live-501 over HTTP

Hi Michal,
I got few quick questions about how networking.

What I want to do is to check if dhcp networking is present or not.
In case, dhcp fails, I would fallback to "${STATICIP}" which comes
from "ip=" boot parameter.

but I am having some problems in reliably confirming if ipconfig has failed.
Unfortunately I only have dhcp setup available, so I dont know what
output will be provided
by ipconfig when dhcp fails.
Can you tell me any relible way to check if ipconfig is failed to get dhcp ip.
Once that is confirmed, I plan to use STATICIP parameter to configure eth0
so that network booting will work for static networks also.

Other problem is with dns resolving.
The httpfs I am using is statically linked (most probably with ulibc
library) so the dns resolving works.
but other default applications inside initramfs (ping, nslookup) fail
to do nslookup.
It seems that it is library problem.  When library files from actual
running system were copied
to initramfs, these applications worked.
I need iscsiadm to work with DNSname but it does not work with
initramfs library.
I am trying to write small program which will do dns-lookup and return
IP as output,
and statically link this program with ulibc.  This way, copying
libraries from outside can be avoided.
But statically linking with ulibc is proving more difficult that what
I had expected.
If you can think of any other way to get iscsiadm work with DNSnames
then let me know.

Lastly, I am also facing few problems with Ubuntu network booting.
I have managed to get it booting over httpfs and iscsifs, but it is
definitely not clean way.
I am not sure if this is correct place to ask Ubuntu booting related questions.
Let me know if I can fire my questions here.

Update : you can try out debian live over httpfs and iscsifs at
http://boot.kernel.org/
Its operational now.
--
Pravin