packages that depends on one of two packages, how to decide which one will be installed?

Perhaps this is not a debian-live specific question, but I have
encountered the problem when building debian-live images, so here we
go.

here is the depends of the pdfjam package:

$ apt-cache depends pdfjam
pdfjam
 |Depends: tetex-extra
  Depends: texlive-latex-recommended
 |Depends: tetex-extra
  Depends: texlive-fonts-recommended

since tetex-extra depends on all the texlive-lang-* packages, I would
prefer to install a custom set of texlive packages (including, of
course, texlive-latex-recommended and texlive-fonts-recommended, which
pdfjam depends on).

But even after explicitly choosing the following packages to install,
aptitude pulls in tetex-extra:

pdfjam texlive-lang-swedish texlive texlive-base texlive-base-bin
texlive-bibtex-extra texlive-common texlive-doc-base
texlive-font-utils texlive-fonts-extra texlive-fonts-recommended
texlive-generic-recommended texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-extra
texlive-latex-recommended texlive-math-extra texlive-pictures
texlive-pstricks texlive-publishers texlive-humanities texlive-latex3

Does the order of the packages in "Depends:" matter? If so, then I
guess it is a bug in pdfjam to have tetex-extra (which pulls in about
600 MB) first in the list.

Would it help if I installed the texlive packages first, and in a
second run installed pdfjam?

Kind regards,

--
Note that I use Debian version 5.0
Linux spelmaskinen 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Sat Jan 10 18:29:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux