Re: Persistent partitions not on the same device

On Friday 23 January 2009, 15:53:31, Frédéric Boiteux wrote:

> Le Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:31:51 +0100,
>
> Marco Amadori <amadorim@vdavda.com> a écrit :
> > On Thursday 22 January 2009, 08:36:18, Frédéric BOITEUX wrote:
> > >   Looking in live-initramfs's script/live code, I've found that the
> > > device where is found live-rw (global persistent partition) is
> > > excluded from home persistent partition's search.
> >
> > Then it is a bug, only the partition should be excluded from the
> > search (e.g. /dev/sde4, not /dev/sde).
>
> Here is the suspicious code (near line 1171 of live-initramfs's
> scripts/live), with not understood comment :
>
>                 # search for label and files (this could be hugely
> optimized) cowprobe=$(find_cow_device "${root_persistence}")
>                 if [ -b "${cowprobe}" ]
>                 then
>                         # Blacklist /cow device, to avoid inconsistent
> setups fo r overlapping snapshots
>                         # makes sense to have both persistence for /cow and
> /hom e mounted, maybe also with
>                         # snapshots to be sure to really store some e.g key
> conf ig files,
>                         # but not on the same media
>                         blacklistdev="${cowprobe}"
>                         PERSISTENCE_IS_ON="1"
>                         export PERSISTENCE_IS_ON
>                 fi
>

> So the device containing root persistence's partition is clearly
> blacklisted, but I don't understand reason given in the comment... Is it
> for persistence in files hosted on the same partition ? I don't understand.

The problem is not there, but in the grep/sed which uses it probably, it needs
proper anchors  "\<" , "\>".

I was rewriting that part, but I'm in little troubles since a while. Patch it
if you like, I'll rework it when I'll could, or if you like I have my WIP
code on my personal alioth's git if you have spare time where all this stuff
is under work.

--
ESC:wq

believed to be clean.