Re: Wireless and LiveCD

Diederik de Haas wrote:
I've chosen wicd as the network client because I've heard good things about it and it should adapt really well to different environments, which seems perfect for a LiveCD. What is/are your preferred (wireless) network client?

personally, i'm using network-manager on those system that have a desktop-environment. wicd afaik doesn't handle 3g connections (yet?).

I looked in /etc/wicd of the squashfs file but saw it was empty!

since it's a rather common use case, live-initramfs should at some point have some magic to set this file up. patches welcome.

I've created a KDE4 LiveCD (676 MB) and am using that to test things out. While my brother was testing it, he/I found out that the b43-fwcutter package was not included.

note that the kde4 livecd was not produced by us, so i can't speak for the team that build it and decided to to not including b43-cutter.

however, since b43-fwcutter is in contrib, it will never be included on any official default debian-live image (if ressources allow it, which i doubt atm, it could make sense to offer a contrib/non-free partial squashfs for download, or even create a set of contrib/non-free images too).

Is there a way to patch the iso file so it includes that package (and therefor doesn't have to download a complete image again (and again...))?

you can create a partial squashfs filesystem, which would only contain the files that are missing, plus the files that are changed in compared to the original filesystem.squashfs from the image.

once you have that, you can put it into the live directory, create a module file (see man live-initramfs for details) and rebuild the iso, or usb-hdd image.

Regards,
Daniel