Wireless and LiveCD

Hello,

I'm trying to get wireless to work as good as it can be and have some questions.

I've chosen wicd as the network client because I've heard good things about it and it should adapt
really well to different environments, which seems perfect for a LiveCD.
What is/are your preferred (wireless) network client?

When starting the LiveCD up, I always have to enter the wicd preferences and specify wlan0 as my
wireless interface name (but eth0 is specified). Without that wicd won't find your wireless network.
In order to find out how to set that automatically, I looked in /etc/wicd of the squashfs file but saw
it was empty!
I know I can still provide the file which says that the wireless interface is wlan0, but the absence
of those files in the LiveCD indicates that there is more to it.
Does anyone know what it is and/or how I can find that out?

I've created a KDE4 LiveCD (676 MB) and am using that to test things out. While my brother was
testing it, he/I found out that the b43-fwcutter package was not included.
Of course I can create a new LiveCD, but it seems a bit much to let a tester download 676MB just
because there was a missing package (and that can happen several times as I iron out 'bugs').
Is there a way to patch the iso file so it includes that package (and therefor doesn't have to
download a complete image again (and again...))?

Thanks in advance,

Diederik