squashfs failure debian live installer

hi,

i use and homemade 2.6.31 kernel in my debian live setup. debian version is stable/lenny. i use config/chroot_apt/preferences to install a squashfs-tools with squashfs 4.0 support. and this has always worked well for me.

however i've recently begun tinkering with d-i. it fails on the system
instalation step following disk partitioning with a squash filesystem
version error, which appears to be a version mismatch. which i suppose
occurs at the moment "the "live" filesystem image is copied to the target", as it says in the manual(1).

my assumption is that the kernel used to boot the installer has an older version of squashfs, and so produces a version mismatch. while there is documentation on how to customize the d-i kernel in general(2), how do i change the kernel used by d-i in a debian-live friendly way?

i use  "lh_config --debian-installer live". and i make
a symbolic link  binary_local-packageslists ->
chroot_local-packageslists/

thanks,
kevin

1) http://live.debian.net/manual/html/debian-installer.html