Re: live-helper should support multiple repositories (stable and sid)

surreal wrote:
> There must be some way to allow multiple repositories to be enabled
> during builds.

there is, see lh_chroot_sources mechanism.

> Many times we want latest gnome version in a live cd, but
> sid repo dosent seem to have squashfs-tools or other packages which can
> be accessed from lenny. Wanted to try empathy. But the lenny repo has
> got old edition where many features are missing..

as tzafir already mentioned:

  * use backports if available; if not available create them.

  * if you can't use backports, use pinning. preferably step only over
    one distribution at the time, e.g. stable->testing, or
    testing->unstable, but not stable->unstable.

  * if pinning does in that very moment you're building isn't
    workable, use testing or unstable in the first place. this
    will give you undoubtful other problems, which is why it's the
    last resort you should go.

> Histoy has shown that victory went to those who used the available tools
> to the best possible extent and not to those who had best tools.

history has shown, that the worst solution with the biggest marketing
machinery wins. 'victory' does not care technology.

however; not our business here and nothing we can do about.

Regards,
Daniel