Re: Booting Debian-live-501 over HTTP

Hi,

2009/9/26 Michal Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz>:

> debian-live should use the address specified with ip= and try dhcp otherwise.
>
> There are two reasons for this. Trying dhcp on a network that does not
> have a dhcp server takes a long time because the dhcp client would go
> through several increasing timeouts before giving up.
>
> The ip= parameter must be set in a specific way for each statically
> configures network, there is no default that can be used in case dhcp
> fails.

Thanks for clarification.  The reason I was thinking about that approach becase,
the "ip=" parameter does not include dns entry, that needs to be
passed separately,
by using something like "dns=".  This approach is fine when someone
who knows network setup
is setting up boot parameter manually.  But it does not scale well for
automated configuration.
I use pxelinux to set ip related parameters based on the network
configuration discovered
by gpxe.  This is done by using pxelinux option IPAPPEND
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#IPAPPEND_flag_val_.5BPXELINUX_only.5D
This mechanism does not append dns information to boot parameters.

Simplest way out from here will be to modify pxelinux to include dns
information.
Trying to get that approved at syslinux.

> What libraries did you copy?

Here are the libraries copied.
http://boot.kernel.org/bko/live/debian/initmod/libs/

There might be few more libraries copied than needed.

> You would have to relink every binary copied to initramfs with ulibc.
> This is not feasible because you would have to download the sources of
> appropriate packages and rebuild them in a non-standard environment in
> which many packages may fail to build simply because ulibc does not
> provide all features they require.

Sorry, but I am not sure if I get your point.
If I statically link one program with ulibc, why do I need to worry about other
binaries?
I do not plan to replace all libraries of initramfs with ulibc.
Only the statically linked dns-lookup program will not use them.
As per my understanding, the httpfs binary that I am using is doing the same.
It is the only binary in initramfs which can do dnslookup properly.
I need similar binary, which will do similar dnslookup and output the IP.

> I guess copying the required library from the chroot is the right way.
> This can be easily repeated for every debian-live build.
>

> If you are using debial-live to build a netbootable Ubuntu then this
> is probably the right place. I recall seeing some code for Ubuntu in
> live-initramfs.
networkManager and networking scripts from Ubuntu are proving problems
for netbooting.  Netbooting works fine when I delete/disable these scripts.
but when these scripts are enabled, netbooting never succeeds.
I was wondering, where can I get help on these scripts.

> Thanks
>
> Michal

Regards
--