can't find live filesystem using grldr (grub4dos)

Using grub4dos with debian-live 5.0.2 downloaded from the web/
directory, boot fails with message "Unable to find a medium containing a
live file system." However, I get a working command-line interface with
prompt "initramfs".

What is the search path for debian-live-502-i386-rescue.squashfs? I've
tried putting it in the root of both the FAT32 USB flash drive and also
the primary NTFS drive (which contains grldr, vmlinuz1, and initrd1).
On the flash drive I have several puppy linux squash files with the
extension .sfs, which I would not expect to interfere.

The grub4dos menu.lst includes the following: (I've renamed vmlinuz and
initrd to distinguish them from corresponding puppy linux files):

kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmdeb502 root=/dev/ram0  boot=live union=aufs
initrd (hd0,1)/boot/indeb502.img