Video not working on 5.01

I just tried to use the livecd on a computer with the following specs:
1.25 gigahertz AMD Athlon
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 [Display adapter]
ViewSonic P225 [Monitor] (19.7"vis)
---
debian-live-501-i386-kde-desktop.iso

Neither the default or safe mode would produce a video display other
than the cursor.  If I move the mouse and watch the cursor it would get
brighter when it went over an area where an icon likely existed.  Sound
works.  the computer often runs MEPIS 8 just fine, so we seem to have a
hardware detection problem with Lenny.  Any suggestions for boot codes
or other?  I tried the vga=771 code, but it didn't help.

I have to say that I'm very disappointed in the result, but hopefully it
is something simple.

Dave,
--
  dave boland