Re: Video Drivers & Screen Resolution

2009/7/29 Steve Allen <Steve.Allen@acalsupplychain.com>:
> I am looking to replace my knoppix build with debian-live.
> It is mostly going Ok but one small problem I have been unable to overcome
> (google) is screen resolution.
>
> Take for example a Proliant DL380, the KDE Info Center reports an ATI Rage
> XL.
> Running Knoppix & Debian Live lenny, both the /var/log/Xorg.0.log report
> "LoadModule mach64"
> But under Knoppix I can set the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 but under
> Debian Live only 800 x600.

I would think this is not a problem with debian-live as such but the
mach64 video driver.

In general knoppix and debian-live probably use a slightly different
mach64 driver and have different bugs.

This driver is ancient and not much used anymore so there might be
some issues. Unfortunately my system with mach64 video card has no
CD-ROM nor can it boot off network nor USB so I cannot test easily.

I suggest looking  at the X logs and find why X is choosing 800x600
mode over 1024x768.

You should be able to list the modes X supports and change between
them with the xrandr command.

Note that on debian-live you can also install new packages so you can
try different X versions (enabling swap is suggested on older systems
so that you do not run out of memory).

HTH

Michal