Video Drivers & Screen Resolution

Title: Video Drivers & Screen Resolution

I am looking to replace my knoppix build with debian-live.
It is mostly going Ok but one small problem I have been unable to overcome (google) is screen resolution.

Take for example a Proliant DL380, the KDE Info Center reports an ATI Rage XL.
Running Knoppix & Debian Live lenny, both the /var/log/Xorg.0.log report "LoadModule mach64"
But under Knoppix I can set the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 but under Debian Live only 800 x600.

Thanks

Steve