Re: cdrom vs usb-hdd

Long ago, On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:40:24PM -0500, Richard Nelson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com> wrote:

> > For a potential USB version I thought I could somehow default to being
> > "disabled" and change that if the user sets password through a file on
> > the USB HDD. Seems simple to implement, though not intuitive enough. Any
> > better suggestions?
>
> What would be a pretty slick way is what I tested over a year ago with
> giving a customer number and an equipment number to users for them to
> pull in a hook from the web as a boot param. You could ship out a usb
> drive with a boot param like
> hook=http://your.company.org/customer_number/equipment_id/rescue.sh
> that would phone home to your company web server and all you do is
> enable the hook when you need it from the server side. It is also a
> nice way to ensure support is up to date.
>
> The down side to the above is that hook= boot param is broke. I have
> filed a bug for it.

I ended up doing something somewhat similar, as a temporary workaround.

For much of the development I test the live CD/USB image in kvm[1]. So far
I have been too lazy to setup anything beyond the default usernet. Thus
the virtual machine is practically behind NAT.

While testing I remembered that the CD already has a NAT penetration
script:

  http://rapid-tunneling.wiki.sourceforge.net/
  http://updates.xorcom.com/rapid/pool/main/r/rapid-tunneling/

So I figured I might just configure the image to try to connect using
that schema. Which could be handy for the case of a USB disk.

This is still only useful for a rathersmall subset of the cases, but at
least for the important one of "the developer with KVM" ;-)

[1] KVM as in a virtual machine. And not that Java one. Anybody for
writing a KDE Video Manager (that multiplexes video from all screens)?

Anyway, a new version is now on-line, at:

  http://updates.xorcom.com/iso/

Basically all of the config/ directory is also included, as I figure it
is part of the source.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com