Re: Bug or feature? - System-directories in chroot owned by user, not by root

Hello Daniel,

>> It seems, that in chroot (-> on the live-cd, too) the owner of important
>> system-directories like /usr, /lib, /bin, /sbin etc. and their
>> subdirectories is not root but an user (uid 1000).
>
> there must be something wrong with your configuration, live-helper does
> not change permissions within chroot.

Thank you very much for your fast answer and the relevant info, that it
was no new feature to prevent problems with rights on a live-cd, so that
i was able to search for the problem especially in my build-environment
and found it very fast:

Because i have not much free diskspace on my netbook but wanted to spare
download time and bandwidth i used lh_build with a cache on an external
usb-device, that i mounted with mount --bind /media/disk/cache
$build_dir/cache.

I didn't know, that this cache contains not only downloaded packages but
some important filesystem-structure, too.

So some day i chowned all files on this external device to uid 1000. So
not only the cached packages were chowned (which is no problem, because
they are signed and the rights of their content is stored inside) but
the cache-directory "stages_bootstrap" - the base of the chroot, too.

After deleting of this corrupted bootstrap-cache all is working fine again.

Greets,
Markus