Re: Debian-live USB problem (bugs #498143 + #510280)

Daniel Baumann wrote:
>> I'm more than happy to test this patch (or alternative methods) on a
>> variety of platforms, but I can't quite seem to come up with a working
>> solution from the various pre-lenny emails about this issue on the
>> mailist, so any advice on the best approach to a workaround for these
>> bugs on Lenny is would be much appreciated. Basically I'm looking for a
>> solution to installing to HD from USB media.
>
> well, it's straight forward - you rebuild the udeb from source with the
> patch from the applied to the source-tree, make sure your version number
> is higher than the one that is present in lenny.
>
> however, it's stupid to do that all the time (the udeb rebuild),
> therefore i've uploaded a fixed package here:
>
> http://live.debian.net/other/cdrom-detect-bugfix/
>
> fetch the udeb, put it into config/binary_local-udebs and eventually
> rebuild the live image.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick turnaround and patched udeb. I've managed to build
my own package too, but unfortunately placing either your or my patched
udeb in config/binary_local-udebs and rebuilding the live image doesn't
appear to update the actual cdrom-detect code run by the Debian
Installer (ie /var/lib/dpkg/info/cdrom-detect.postinstall remains the
same as the unpatched v1.30 code). Does the current lenny version of
live-helper definitely support importing local udebs from
config/binary_local-udebs (v 1.0.3-2)? Can anyone confirm if this method
of importing local udebs works for them?

I'll try hacking the patched code into the newly generated image
directly to check if the updated cdrom-detect functionality works.

> testing images with the bugfix are *extremely* welcome in order to show
> that it works and persuade d-i team to apply the patch. therefore,
> please do report suggess or failures to #498143.

OK, no problem. Will add feedback as soon as I get it working.

Thanks,

David

--
David Watson