Debian-live USB problem (bugs #498143 + #510280)

Hi All,

First up - great work on Debian-live! ;-)

I've been working on a live ISO / USB / HD install system based on
Debian-live recently, but I'm running into problems when trying to
install to hard disk from USB (HD install from ISO, live USB and live
ISO all work fine). I'm using Lenny with live-helper 1.0.3-2 (ie the
current stable release).

This problem appears to be identical to:

So i've tried setting up my environment, unpacking the contents of:

./builder/cache/packages_debian-installer.udeb/cdrom-detect_1.30_all.udeb

manually applying Chris Lamb's patch:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=5;filename=0001-Try-vfat-and-ext-disk-partitions-masquerading-as-Deb.patch;att=1;bug=498143

then recreating the .deb and overwriting the stock one. However, after
making a new image I still get the same behaviour.

Live-helper 1.0.3-2 appears to include support for include files in
the installer:

./builder/config/binary_debian-installer-includes

however I'm struggling to work out how to apply this patch in that
directory (since this patch affects the postinstall file and not the
script from the stock .deb that installs into /usr/lib/finish-install.d).

I'm more than happy to test this patch (or alternative methods) on a
variety of platforms, but I can't quite seem to come up with a working
solution from the various pre-lenny emails about this issue on the
mailist, so any advice on the best approach to a workaround for these
bugs on Lenny is would be much appreciated. Basically I'm looking for a
solution to installing to HD from USB media.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

David

--