Re: Help needed for lenny live RC1

Daniel Baumann wrote:
> there are a couple of small things needed to fix in order to release
> lenny live RC1, and one big issue: the size of the cdimages needs to be
> cut down to not more than 700MB.

Well, I probably won't be able to help much, but I'll offer what I can.

> I've uploaded current builds done with live-helper 1.0.3-1 by using
> /usr/share/live-helper/examples/cron/images.sh, and the images are too big:

Looking at the package lists, I see that Gnome is included into ALL FOUR desktop flavors (lxde and xfce include the gnome metapackage; kde doesn't, but almost all its depends are there nonetheless). I don't know how it happened, but clearly you don't want that. I assume that this is responsible for the huge increase in size (~300 MB) of the three non-Gnome desktop flavors since Beta2; by comparison, the Gnome flavor increased by less than 20 MB:

debian-live-lenny-i386-gnome-desktop.iso : 737M --> 755M
debian-live-lenny-i386-kde-desktop.iso :   707M --> 1.0G
debian-live-lenny-i386-lxde-desktop.iso :  481M --> 763M
debian-live-lenny-i386-xfce-desktop.iso :  509M --> 780M

Thus I assume that, when that is fixed, lxde and xfce will easily fit.

For gnome and kde, I renew my suggestion of excluding openoffice.org. The cumulative size of the openoffice.org* packages is more than 100 MB, that should be more than enough. I know you didn't like that suggestion, but please consider that a live-cd without openoffice.org is better than no live-cd. At least keep that as a last-resort plan if a better alternative doesn't show up.

Anyway, if I find time and don't get lost in the dependency tree, I'll try to find other ways to cut 60 MB.

Gerardo