Re: license packages

Daniel Baumann wrote:
Michal Suchanek wrote:
There is a difference here. Aptitude cleans up the dependencies
automatically when you remove whatever needed them. Unfortunately,
neither tool seems to be configurable to do what the other does.
Messy.

apt can do that as well:

	APT::Get:AutomaticRemove "true";

in /etc/apt/apt.conf

(for those interested: for other values, it may be worth to have a look
at preseed-apt from
http://git.debian.net/?p=debian-custom/preseed-apt.git which is a
preseeding interface for apt.conf, i did this do configure stuff through
a preseeding file e.g. in live systems).

The most important part, though, is that apt does not track
automatically installed packages on stable (etch) so it might have
been ages but not long enough ages for Debian.

i do totally agree that one should use aptitude on etch, because at the
time etch was released, aptitude was better than etch. for lenny, i beg
to differ - i think that apt-get is much better in lenny and newer than
aptitude is.

that is also reflected in live-helper: for building etch images, we
default to use aptitude, for everything later, we default to use apt.

Nice thing to try out when Lenny is released and I manage to get rid
of any etch systems.

^5, i'm so looking forward to getting rid of etch as well

Now I'm in doubt whether aptitude or apt-get is preferable for a mixed testing/unstable system..
What do you advise and why? And do you know both aptitude and apt-get well?

\r