Re: license packages

2009/1/14 Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org>:
> schoappied wrote:
>> One note.. the tools use apt-get by default... I use aptitude,
>
> because apt-get is saner than aptitude and has less bugs.
>
>> I think I  should change  those to aptitude right?
>
> probably, i don't know if apt-get and aptitude use the same data file in
> order to track manual installed packges. if they do, it doesn't matter.

AFAIK apt does not track manually installed packages at all, it makes
all packages it installs seem manually installed as it does not record
which were added automatically.

So apt is saner for short-lived systems but for managing a system on
which you add and remove software (think trying 2-3 word processors
and keeping the one that works for you) aptitude is much saner.

For debian-live aptitude can cope with (ignore) packages that are on
your install list but not installable. This is not good for testing
that your lists are correct but it helps when the lists included with
debian-live are wrong.

Thanks

Michal