Re: How to report boot problems, and how to solve them?

Michael Creel wrote:
> http://www.nabble.com/bug-in-version-1.6%2C-1.7%2C-1.72-to21264104.html

this looks like a 'normal' linux kernel issue. i think you have to take
this up with the kernel guys. also, detailed information about the used
hardware will be required.

what kernel does the affected version use? is there a newer available in
sid in the meantime? if so, please let the user retest with an updated
image.

> http://www.nabble.com/Node-boot-problem-to21355444.html

this looks like the live system doesn't find the rootfs
(filesystem.squashfs). this would need more information about the actual
setup and type of live system (netboot with nfs or cifs etc.) that was
used, including the configuration options (nfs server ip, share, path etc.).

> Thus, I
> suppose that boot failures for PelicanHPC images are relevant to Debian
> Live, and detailed information on boot failures might be interesting to
> Debian Live developers.

jup, this is appreciated and welcome. please keep reporting such issues
(and others if you are unsure as well, of course).

> While I suspect that use of cheatcodes could
> solve some of these problems, it might be nice to have a template for
> boot failure bug reports. What information should users report? How can
> a user conveniently report the information seen on screen when a live CD
> image fails to boot?

i'm afraid reporting a bug of this type is not as convenient as one
likes to do it, as it needs a lot of information in order to
isolate/locate it further.

in newer versions of live-initramfs though, live-initramfs is presenting
a error message about reporting a bug when it cannot find the rootfs or
panics otherwise.

> If some system for reporting boot failures can be set up, I would
> encourage PelicanHPC users to submit reports to it. If I can get a
> description of what information would be useful, I can at least let
> people know that they should try to gather it.

we'd like to get all bug reports as bugs against the live-initramfs (or
live-helper if it's a build issue) packages in the debian bug tracking
system.

some information about what information is required to know to help
fixing the bug is listed in the manual at:

http://live.debian.net/manual/html/bugs.html

Hope that helps, if not, please let me know how we can be of further
assistance to you and make the underlying debian-live to your users as
pleasant as possible.

Regards,
Daniel