checking for supported hardware

Suppose I'm at a computer shop trying to decide what computer to buy.
Naturally I'd want one with supported hardware. One known method is to
get a live CD and check the hardware.

So how do I check that the hardware is supported? And do I spend the
minimal time testing that?

I suppose I use a XFCE Lenny desktop, as it boots quicker than
gnome/kde.

Booting from a built-in CD driver is probably preferred to USB if
possible, as (from my limited experince) has a higher chance of
working without a need for editing BIOS settings of the target system.

Display adapter: We see that the system booted.
  * Accelerated: glxgears requires a terminal to run from. Any relevant
       game or whatever? Should start quickly and be very simple to
       quit.
  * compiz an co.: Any need to test separately?

Sound card: play a file. Which file is there to play? Any shortcut for
that? Make sure volume level is indicated.

Microphone: Record a file and play it (after verifying I can play). Make
sure recording level is indicated it.

Ethernet: ethtool?

wifi: iwconfig?

Modem: Any chance it would work out of the box with a live CD?

How do I get a clue that "hardware device X may work, but needs some
firmware"?

Keyboard:
  * Special keys (volume, browser, and such) - any quick way to
    configure them?

Printer:
  * I guess that there are multiple methods depending on the printer.
  * Assuming you'll actually get to print a test page

Scanner:

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com