Re: gnome-orca

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 12:31:32PM -0400, E.J. Zufelt wrote:
> Good morning Hans,
>
> Which gnome package is installed on the Live CD (gnome,
> gnome-desktop-environment, or gnome-core)?

Hi E.J. Zufelt.

I have realized that what I was wrong in an earlier post.

The packages that live-helper defines as "gnome" is the following

#include <gnome-core>
gdm-themes gnome-desktop-environment system-config-printer gnome-screensaver
gnome-themes-extras rhythmbox synaptic

which, as far as I understand, means that live-helper has made a
decision on what gnome *is*, rather than just accepting what
gnome-desktop-environment pulls in. E.g., rythmbox is not pulled in by
gnome-desktop-environment or by gnome-core but by the task "gnome",
which however not is included in the list of packages above.

As Chris Lamb pointed out:

>> b) gnome-orca would have been installed (see 'a') via a Recommends
>>    relation, but turned those off for large desktop environments (so they
>>    can fit onto a CD).

And since gnome-orca fits well into a CD, I think it should be
included.

I don't know about accessibility program, but I see that there is a
meta-package called gnome-accessibility, which pulls in gnome-orca. If
there is room left on the CD, perhaps explicitly including
gnome-accessibility would be a good idea?

Another route would be to make gnome-desktop-environment depend on
gnome-accessibility (or gnome-orca) rather than just recommend on it.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. Why is top posting bad?