Re: General question - objectives of debian live.

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 02:46:29PM EST, carsten wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 17. Dezember 2008 schrieb Chris Jones:
> > I would just like a confirmation that I can use debian live to create a
> > portable clone of a subset of my regular debian environment that I can
> > carry around on a CD/DVD and a USB flash drive.
> >
> > After reading the fine manual a couple of times, I'm pretty sure that's
> > what debian live proposes to do.
> >
> > If so, and if I spend a couple of weeks with friends or family and have
> > access to a computer .. how would I sync back my home machine with the
> > live environment .. things such as mailboxes, development/documentation
> > directories .. possible changes to configuration files .. software that
> > I installed while away from home .. etc.
>
> Have a  look to unison-gtk.

Excellent! And there is a scriptable-cronable non-gui version as well.

> After using my live-hdd I mount my usb-hdd on my desktop pc and sync
> my home-directory (which is separately on a stick or usb-hdd encrypted
> with luks and dm-crypt)

Haha .. this is what I was looking for .. So I need to set up my system
in a way that makes it simple to create a liveCD image with the base
system and my favorites applications and all their config files .. and a
home directory that has my private data and possibly some additional
software .. kinda of a private /usr/local/bin.

Since I'm in the process of migrating from etch to lenny as I may have
mentioned earlier.. this is a good time to question my current setup and
try to figure out one for the new system that will make it easy as pie
to separate the publishable stuff from what should remain private.

I spent some time today looking for some blog or other where s/o might
have done something comparable to what I plan on doing .. with all the
details of their implementation for me to steal .. Didn't really find
anything .. but I did run into the debian-live wiki that seems to be
packed with excellent tips & advice.

In any case, thanks much for your comments, and a Merry Xmas to you and
your family.

Thanks,

CJ