Re: Test results for: debian-live-lenny-i386-xfce-desktop.iso

Spotty email coverage on debian-live@lists.debian.org
Just an FYI for those on the mailing list. I unsubscribed from the old list on alioth and subscribed to the debian list, and the emails have not been coming through. Email archives on the debian.org website are showing emails that never hit my InBox. This is just to let any others out there who might be having similar problems know that you aren't alone. I had to copy the reply text of this email over from the web archive on debian.org.

 > In addition to Gnome, KDE, and XFCE, please consider adding the LXDE GUI
 > for those computers with especially lean specifications.

for the package selection/flavours for the official images (means, those
which are autobuild on the server and are released as prebuilt images
alongside to the installer images), we do stick with what tasksel offers
for as desktop-tasks, since those are the tasks that can be choosen in
d-i. so best would be if you could persuade the tasksel maintainers to
add a lxde-desktop tasks for lenny+1.

Yeah, I kinda figured that it wouldn't be quite so simple. Debian does have a bureaucracy and lots of rules to navigate, which is understandable given its size and complexity.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll take up this issue along with the others I raised once Lenny is released.

Hopefully LXDE will mature as a codebase and will then be accepted by the tasksel maintainers. I know Debian cares about folks with older hardware, which explains the 650 MB size limit on .iso files. LXDE is an excellent choice for folks with low powered hardware.

> however, building an lxde desktop image yourself would be very easy:

lh_config -d lenny -p standard-x11 --packages lxde
lh_build

Yup. This is one of the things I love about Debian Live. I read over the documentation, and Debian Live provides some excellent tools to build a customized live distro. Hey, if there are tweaks and changes I think need doing, I can always roll my own.

 > Udev eth0 --> eth1:

it appears that there is something really buggy wrt/ udev. the
persistent rules are removed, but still udev seems to cache the mac.
will be investigated, and fixed during next week.

I'll test the next release on my hardware and let you know if there are better results.

this is not a bug, this is debian. ;)

Heh. Yeah, I know :-)

this is probably a common missunderstanding - people expect debian-live
to be a preconfigured system that does all the magics to work without
any configuration. this is not what debian-live is about. debian-live is
debian, but run from a cdrom (or usb stick/$whatever). not more, not
less. you /excately/ get what you would end up by installing debian onto
your harddisk with an installer cd. if debian doesn't autodetect and
automount partitions/devices, then debian-live doesn't too.

I understand your point about Debian Live being exactly like Debian. And I understand why Debian chooses to not do the autodetect and automount thing. That said, the times, they are a changing, and surely Debian can roll along with the changes by and by?

Eh, we'll see. This is another idea I'll toss out post-Lenny.

same as with above - the package selection for the desktop images is
defined as what you get when doing tasksel. the standard-image is only
debian packages of priority standard and higher. if those do not add
lsusb to their selection, then we don't do either.

Is the idea of having lsusb tagged as 'essential' at all realistic?

however, the rescue flavour is a 'own' selection of ours, where i just
added lsusb to the list. thank you for the hint.

Glad to be of service. Might I recommend adding the networking software I mentioned in my original email? This too with help with rescue issues.

we don't alter packages or remove parts of packages that are installed.

if you want to get rid of some artwork, please take it up with the
individual package maintainers, or discuss it on
debian-desktop@lists.debian.org. there's nothing we can do about (and
removing them and thus altering the system is not an option).

Understood. I also vaguely thought that might be the case, but I wanted to raise the issue to see what the best way to resolve it would be. I'll take this up with the appropriate maintainer, post-Lenny release.

debian doesn't have a bootsplash by default, so does debian-live. if you
are brave, you can start a thread again on
debian-desktop@lists.debian.org about it (and make sure you read the
thread about it when it came up last time shortly before the etch release).

Heh. Oh, I don't know if I am that brave :-)

If I do toss the idea out, I'll definitely review the previous thread (flamewar) first.

 > More software required to round out the desktop:

as written somewhere above, those are defined by the tasksel package.
please take it up with the maintainer of that package.

 > As much network DFSG software as possible:

same here, need to be handled through tasksel.

Thanks for the advice. I now know where to go to resolve such issues.

Meanwhile, I can roll my own should I feel the need.

Daniel, many thanks for your detailed answers, and your patience in answering a person who doesn't understand the inner workings of the Debian devel system. I appreciate your efforts.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert