Kernel Panic on IBM Thinkpad R50e

Hi,

I've used Debian for years, and saw the announcement for
the Debian Live CD Beta1. So I tried it on my laptop.
I downloaded the file debian-live-lenny-i386-xfce-desktop.iso
(md5sum of the iso is 3c7ddc96835d983093f9a35d40a96f78)
and burned it to a CD and booted that. The laptop is
an IBM Thinkpad R50e.

The first time I booted, it booted fine, and the
different programs worked well. I noticed a couple problems,
though. First of all, there was no net connection. Udev had
renamed eth0 to eth1 and there was no entry for eth1 in
/etc/network/interfaces. Also, it couldn't mount my USB thumbdrive.

So I thought I'd reboot the Live CD to get a clean start
for preparing a bugreport. But this time I got a kernel panic
on trying to mount the root filesystem. And it wasn't just
a transient error. I've tried probably six or eight more
times, and it's always the same.

Below I've copied what the screen says when it stops. Since
I'm copying this by hand, I'm leaving off the times in brackets
at the beginning of each line.

input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input0
RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 32768) 8388608
invalid compressed format (err=2)
List of all partitions:
0100       8192 ram0 (driver?)
0101       8192 ram1 (driver?)
0102       8192 ram2 (driver?)
0103       8192 ram3 (driver?)
0104       8192 ram4 (driver?)
0105       8192 ram5 (driver?)
0106       8192 ram6 (driver?)
0107       8192 ram7 (driver?)
0108       8192 ram8 (driver?)
0109       8192 ram9 (driver?)
010a       8192 ram10 (driver?)
010b       8192 ram11 (driver?)
010c       8192 ram12 (driver?)
010d       8192 ram13 (driver?)
010e       8192 ram14 (driver?)
010f       8192 ram15 (driver?)
No filesystem could mount root, tried:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(9,0)

Any ideas? If there's anything more I can do to
help with this issue, let me know. I'm not subscribed to
the list, so CC-ing me on any replies would be appreciated!

Thanks for all your good work,
James Dietrich
--

  jdietrch@fastmail.fm