Many problems with live-rw partition

Marco Amadori wrote:
> Il mercoled? 20 agosto 2008 16:31:54 Andreas Bombe ha scritto:
>> Either I'm doing something wrong or it really doesn't work all that
>> well...
>
> The second one I think. The persistence needs some care to be fixed, this part
> was took from original casper code without much intervention and just a few
> tests in casper's age. The live-initramfs author just forked the code and
> changed some indentation and style regarding that issue IIRW.
>
> The persistence feature is completely experimental (yes, since more than 1
> year) and snapshots are somewhat just working (badly) since few weeks,
> although I use them in some real controlled production environments but with
> the file list type only (some selected files are snapshotted, not all the
> changes) but this is far to be optimal too.
>
> You found some important bugs and those needs time to be fixed.

We are working on a product that we want to release on a lenny USB stick
with persistence enabled. Will these problems be fixed for the Lenny
release? If not, is help appreciated implementing/fixing these features?
 We can hire a developer for this.

maybe it is a good idea to update the wiki about how the persistence
stuff should work (using a 'live-rw' partition for example), and that
this feature is not enabled by now. I was searching a lot before I found
some note about it in the live-initramfs man page.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/Persistence

I can do this if you want.

--
Gijs Molenaar
gijs.molenaar at surfnet.nl
fingerprint C660 BABA 4B91 4B5C EB60 7739 4385 8ABA 72EE 99CA