Mixed distributions on Debian Live images (and bug in ssl-cert 1.0.15)

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Desmond Cox <desmondgc at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, a recent bug in ssl-cert would
> cause the installation process to freeze"
How long did you wait for ssl-cert?  It generates a secure certificate
by reading a fairly large amount of random data.  This data is
generated from various sources, including keyboard and mouse movement
and timings.  I thought that the install had died on my box until I
straced the process and saw it reading from /dev/random.  It sounds
silly, but try wiggling the mouse and see if it completes faster.
This generates entropy bits faster, so the process of picking random
numbers goes faster.  Or even fire up kgolf or some similar activity
;-)  In my instance it took only about a minute of mouse activity
before the process completed.  You can run "strace -p `pgrep openssl`"
to see how many bytes it's got left to read once it hangs at "Setting
up ssl-cert".

That all said, I haven't looked at the bug database for ssl-cert; if
there's a bug other than "it's slow" disregard this mail.

Will