non-squashed filesystem

Greetings,

On Feb 5, 2008 8:44 AM, Chris Fanning <christopher.fanning at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new on the list but I have had some success using casper on etch.
>
> We would like your opinion on a cluster setup that we're think of.
> The idea is to boot all diskless servers over the network using a
> single filesystem image.
> Does that sound like a good idea?

This will work and can be managed well depending on your server
applications. If you could share what type of services I might be able
to comment more.

> We have managed to do it in the workshop using a squashed filesystem,
> but we would like to avoid the overhead and use instead a non-squashed
> filesystem.
>
> I've been trying to do it, but I'm not having much luck.
> How is it done?

Build a netboot with plain filesystem type. If using lenny I believe
Daniel is building patched kernels today with an aufs issue in 2.6.22
that requires the linux-patch-aufs. I am moving my plain images form
etch to lenny and my experience is that plain fs is more agile and
performs better than squashfs.

Hope this helped.