non-squashed filesystem

It sounds like you might be doing something like PelicanHPC, which I have
posted about on this list in the past. I find that exporting a squashed fs
works pretty well. Klaus Knopper backed up this empirical observation with
an argument, a while ago. I think that it had to do with properly balancing
CPU demands on the nodes of the cluster with network traffic, but the
details escape me now. You might want to search the Knoppix mail list for
his message.
M.