Troubles with cdebootstrap-helper-diverts/start-stop-daemon

Juergen Fiedler wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> It looks like cdebootstrap diverts start-stop-daemon to a version that
> (as far as I can tell) doesn't do much of anything when the chroot/
> system is created. That is somewhat inconvenient, since I do like to
> start a few services when my live CD boots.

as ar as I can see, cdebootstrap does only devert start-stop-daemon
during the time of cdebootstrapping; at the end of it, it reverts the
divertion (by removing the cdebootstrap helper package).

> I tried running '/usr/bin/dpkg --purge cdebootstrap-helper-diverts'
> from one of my local hooks, but to no avail. It seems like
> lh_chroot_dpkg stores a copy of start-stop-daemon, replaces it with
> its own do-nothing version and later restores it - replacing the real
> executable with the stored-away cdebootstrap-helper-diverts version.

if, for some reason, the removal of that helper package by cdebootstrap
itself fails, it's too late to fix it with a hook, because the hook is
run after lh_chroot_dpkg.

> This happens with live_helper 1.0~a37-2 running on Lenny, building a
> Lenny based CD.

which version of cdebootstrap do you use?

> would
> there be any point in looking for /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL within
> lh_chroot_dpkg and using that instead of start-stop-daemon.orig if it
> exists?

either cdebootstrap has a bug and does not revert the divertion itself,
then this is a bug in cdebootstrap which can be easily catch by
lh_bootstrap_cdebootstrap, or we just don't do anything :) i'll check
about that in cdebootstrap.

the divertion of the lh_chroot_dpkg is, seen for itself, ok.

and btw, although i was fond of cdebootstrap in the past, we switched to
default to debootstrap some month ago. it is better maintained and the
official way of creating a chroot (it's used in debian-installer).

Email:          daniel.baumann at panthera-systems.net