persistence and custom kernel

Hi,

I have not been able to get a persistent file system by following any of the
methods described in the wiki.
I am using a custom kernel with compiled in unionfs and squashfs with no
floppy disk support. I put the live system on a usb stick. The host system
is debian/lenny.

When using the 'persistent' option in grub the system initially boots fine
but eventually shows:

end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0

and keeps printing the same message over and over.

When I do not use the persistent option, the same message appears a few
times but then the boot process keeps going and eventually succeeds.
Unfortunately, the live-snapshot does not seem to work after a reboot in
this case.

Is the error due to my custom kernel lacking floppy support? or is it
something else?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Santiago