Re: General question - objectives of debian live.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:06:38PM EST, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>  >>  .. how would I sync back my home machine with the live
>  >>  environment .. things such as mailboxes, development /
>  >>  documentation directories .. possible changes to configuration
>  >>  files .. software that I installed while away from home .. etc.

>  > Have a look to unison-gtk. After using my live-hdd I mount my usb-hdd
>  > on my desktop pc and sync my home-directory (which is separately on a
>  > stick or usb-hdd encrypted with luks and dm-crypt)
>
> 	Or, rsync may be used for this purpose, too.
>
> 	Contrary to unison, rsync expects one to specify the direction
> 	of the sync explicitly, which eliminates the necessity of
> 	storing any ``state'' files for the media to be synchronized,
> 	but otherwise these two seem quite close (though I find the
> 	rsync configuration means more ``readable''.)
>
> 	Like (note that the meaning of -u, -v, -a, -b and --suffix= is
> 	basically the same as in cp(1) and mv (1)):
>
> $ rsync -uvab --suffix=.~rsync~ --backup-dir=.rsync-backup \
>       --exclude=\*~ --exclude=.rsync-backup/ \
>       /media/flash/ \
>       "$HOME"/
>
> 	(More complex inclusion (exclusion) patterns are available with
> 	--filter=.)

.. but it looks like the difference with unison is that with rsync you
do to some extent keep track "manually" of what has changed (at least
what parts of the filesystem) .. since you exclude (include) directories
(etc.) .. while unison as I understand it is capable of detecting what
files (or even parts of files?) need  to be copied over automatically.

Incidentally .. as regards my other questions .. cf. "objectives of
debian live" .. I eventually ran - quite by accident - into a short page
that defines them quite nicely.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Why&sa=X&oi=smap&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=7&usg=AFQjCNHdgOO5Hkx6dN2F4KJWXahdXO7Rkg

.. or google for "debian live manual" & the first link listed is "Debian
Live Project" and then a bunch of other links under that including one
that says "Why Debian Live" that provides a list of excellent reasons why
one should choose debian live over "exotic" live CD frameworks.

Only thing that worries me a bit is that it would appear to suggest that
only debian kernels are supported .. not stuff that I may have patched
myself.

Thanks!

CJ