Re: apparent failure to mount /root during boot of netboot image

On Friday 21 November 2008 15.52:25 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> The directories are not "made", they just "appear" there by mounting a
> file system. Seems this part fails. This happens in mountroot. Try
> breaking at "bottom" (that's just after mountroot) and have a look what
> is mounted. Your rootfs should be mounted at root. It seems it isn't,
> for whatever reason. You might try to mount manually and see whether it
> complains.

Ok, I booted with break=bottom, and no file system was mounted other than the
nfs:

(initramfs) mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10240k,mode=755)
192.168.53.66:/local/debian-live/binary/live on /root/live/image type nfs
(ro,vers=3,rsize=524288,wsize=524288,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,proto=tcp,timeo=7,retrans=3,sec=sys,mountproto=udp,addr=192.168.53.66)

I was able to manually mount the filesystem, but only after manually loading
(ie. modprobe) the loop and squashfs modules:

(initramfs) mount -o loop /root/live/image/filesystem.squashfs /root
mount: cannot setup loop device: No such file or directory

(modprobe loop, modprobe squashfs)

(initramfs) mount -o loop /root/live/image/filesystem.squashfs /root/
(initramfs)

Any ideas why this didn't happen automatically?

Cheers,
Andrew