Re: 2.4.X kernel

2008/10/26 Tzafrir Cohen Wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 07:41:52PM -0300, Maximiliano Marin Bustos wrote:
>> I'm creating a minimalist distribution which it can runs on an old machine
>> with 64 mb RAM and a core Intel Petium I. My distro will starts a web
>
> Won't a live CD waste memory by using ramdisk to store files (at least
> changes)? I assume that your disk space is not that limited. If so, you
> can also use some swap to ease the burdon.

Yep - I can recommend this method.

A while ago, before Debian-live, I modified a Debian based, liveCD, to
use disk space as RAM - so the liveCD could run in RAM (if this is not
an oxymoron).
I managed to get a 486 with 12Mb to boot. It ran a photo slide show
(inside a photo frame), could also browse but was slow ~ 2 minutes to
display a page.

Something like... If RAM<X && BOOTPARAMETER; mount (BOOTPARAMETER)
/dev/shm. Where BOOTPARAMETER was a partition already formatted a s
swap space.

Hope this helps,
Brendan