Re: 2.4.X kernel

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 07:41:52PM -0300, Maximiliano Marin Bustos wrote:
> Hi everybody!
> I'm creating a minimalist distribution which it can runs on an old machine
> with 64 mb RAM and a core Intel Petium I. My distro will starts a web
> server, ftp server and ssh server. So i was thinking 2.6.X kernel will be
> very hard to old machines  and 2.4.X kernel is lighter than 2.6.X kernel.
> My question is: What can i do if i want use that kernel on my distro? Which
> options i must modify?
> Can you help me?

Won't a live CD waste memory by using ramdisk to store files (at least
changes)? I assume that your disk space is not that limited. If so, you
can also use some swap to ease the burdon.

Is disk space an issue for you as well?

There are many simple ways to reduce memory consumption. An unsupported,
old, kernel is not the easiest one. I suspect that a specialized 2.6
kernel will get you farther (smaller).

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com