Re: Default user now UID 1000 instead of 999?

Hi Julien,

> > You shouldn't be chowning at all. Place your home directory files in
> > /etc/skel/ and they will be chowned automatically by user-setup/adduser.
> >
> Unless the files/directories in config/chroot_local-includes/ are owned
> by root on the host, they end up owned by a random user on the cd.

Indeed. For completeness sake, in the case of /etc/skel, is this really an
issue? Whatever uid/gid combination the files in /etc/skel have, adduser
appears to chown them to the target user.

> Any chance the cpio call in lh_chroot_local-includes could be changed to
> not preserve file ownership?

I'm in two minds about this.

On one hand, we know from Marco that people are relying on the current
behaviour and not preserving ownership would require users to add this
information "back" with tedious hooks.

However, I can't help thinking that having random files in the binary image
that are owned by random users by default is a bad idea:

For example, I created a local "config/chroot_local-includes/etc/sudoers"
file (owned by my local user, uid 1000), this file would--by default--exist
on the binary image with the same permissions. Sounds dangerous.

Daniel, any comments?

Regards,

--
      ,''`.