Re: ArtistX 0.6 question: rewrite wiki and manual

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:41:19AM +0200, Marco Ghirlanda wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm in the process of building the new ArtistX ( www.artistx.org ) and
> would like to use DL as for the last 5 versions :-) (as always I will
> add a reference to DL in the Distrowatch announcement and on the ArtistX
> website to give DL the maximum credit). Long time ago I made a tutorial
> (which is now in the Wiki under "unsupported") and I would like to
> update it as DL has changed a bit over the last two years...:-)
>
> My usual steps
>
> 1) lh_config and change config/ files by hand (setting only boot
> parameters to make splashy work and enabling the interactive build)

I prefer to keep the config directory under version control and export
it to the build environment.

> 1) how to use external apt sources and make sure they will go into the
> final iso? Need to add only debian-multimedia.org packages.

Not only apt sources, but also their extra GPG keys.

$ ls -l config/chroot_sources/
total 12
lrwxrwxrwx 1 tzafrir tzafrir   11 Oct  7  2007 rapid.bootstrap -> rapid.build
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tzafrir tzafrir  104 May  6 00:06 rapid.build
lrwxrwxrwx 1 tzafrir tzafrir   11 Mar 20  2008 rapid.chroot -> rapid.build
-rw-r--r-- 1 root    root    1365 May  6 03:08 rapid.chroot.gpg

I don't recall exactly which two of those three are needed. It changed
at some point and at some stage of debugging I needed the ability to use
newer and older versions of live-helper.

The .gpg file is the gpg key of that apt source. There are other ways to
include the gpg key. Just don't resort to including a source as
"untrusted" unless it is really a non-signed one.

> 2) how to add the user artistx to various groups for making effective
> the installation of software like ntfs3g or other packages that require
> that the user is added to groups he is not part of.

This is something that needs to be run before installing packages?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com