Re: Cannot configure MySQL

Joseph Rawson wrote:
> On Thursday 25 September 2008 16:47:08 Chris Lale wrote:
>> I have now documented the whole process on the wiki:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/HowTo/LAMP
>>
>> --
>> Chris.
>
> This is a pretty cool page!

Thanks, Joseph.

> I really like how you use an image, configure it and move the configuration to
> the next image to be built.  Those type of instructions will really help
> people who don't use the same desktop environment as the one on the image.
>
> Right below the where you have the "lamp" initscript, you can probably put
> another script instead of the instructions, to be run in the
> chroot_local-hooks.  I haven't tested this, but it should work
>
> --------------------------------------
> #!/bin/sh
> chown root:root /etc/init.d/lamp
> chmod 755 /etc/init.d/lamp
> update-rc.d defaults 90
> --------------------------------------
> That should do what the instructions below the lamp file are saying.

That's a clever idea. I'll try it out when I get a minute and report back.

> Also, the website that you got the bridging instructions from has some updated
> instructions that put the bridging configuration in /etc/network/interfaces.
> I think that this method is much easier, and is similar to the one on the
> debian wiki page  that you mentioned (I helped write a little bit of that).
> This method will keep things working on a reboot, so you don't have to run
> that script everytime you boot.  I solved the permissions on /dev/net/tun by
> adding my username to uml-net (installing uml-utilities, first).  I also had
> to put this in my /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> auto tap0
> iface tap0 inet static
>       address 10.0.1.1
>       netmask 255.255.255.0
> #      vde2-switch -
>       tunctl_user uml-net
>

> I found that if you have vde2 installed, it tries to take group ownership of
> the /dev/net/tun device also.

I didn't go with the static IP route because, in the past, I have been unable to
 include /etc/network/interfaces in the image. It has always been overwritten
during boot [1]. Daniel suggested a way forward, but I never worked it out.
Perhaps I'll look at it again.

> I marked your email as important, so I can come back and test this out when I
> get the time.

That would be great. I'll write back to the list if I make any more progress.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2007/06/msg00177.html

Regards,
--
Chris.