Re: more work on debian installer

Il giovedì 11 settembre 2008 07:58:39 Joseph Rawson ha scritto:
> After taking a long look at ubiquity, I decided to try another route. [..]
> What I wound up doing is trying to make a debian package out of partman.  I
> did this by checking out the partman directory in the svn repository, and
> building the udebs.  I then extrated the udebs into a directory, and the
> templates into a subdirectory of that directory.  I then used regular
> debian tools to install the result into a deb.

Why not build the deb directly from the sources?

In any case in a regular deb, maybe most parts of the udeb postinst should be
moved to the runtime, since in udebs most of the action happens in postinst.

The chroot approach you tried before seems nicer to me, since it could require
less diverge of d-i code, but I didn't tried your route yet.

> I took a look around the web, and it seems that the state of automated
> partitioning is about the same as it was in 2003 when I started making
> paella, with the exception of partman (and maybe anaconda, I'd almost
> forgotten about that one).  I guess that there aren't very many people
> interested in this.

Partman is nice after all, it could be scripted with recipes, it supports
raid, lvm, dmraid and crypted volumes.

> It seems that after looking around, the perl script in
> fai is still the best choice for partitioning disks and creating
> filesystems on a regular system (with the possible exception of anaconda,
> which I'm going to look into once I'm done writing this).

I don't know fai partitioning scripts, in which ways are they superior to
partman?

--
ESC:wq