Re: [Fwd: Re: rc.local is not working for automount (diskmount.sh)script]

On Thursday 11 September 2008 01:43:13 Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 01:03:33AM -0500, Joseph Rawson wrote:

> > > HI
> > >
> > > Sorry for inconvenience,
> > >
> > > It(rc.local) works as I made it executable  but didn't update the
> > > symlink (update-rc.d -f rc.local defaults 80 )
> > >
> > > Thanx for reply
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Padma Jadav
> > > Magnet Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
> >
> > /etc/rc.local is supposed to be the very last initscript that runs, and
> > it's not in the /etc/init.d directory that update-rc.d creates the links
> > from.  If you need a script at 80, rename it to /etc/init.d/rc-local then
> > run update-rc.d on that.  That should work.
>
> What command did you mean exactly?

I'm sorry it took me a bit to respond.  I wanted to test this before telling
you.

I don't think that you really need to worry about the rc.local script.  With
these instructions, you can get rid of the rc.local script entirely.

What I did was to take the diskmounter.sh and copy it to
  config/chroot_local-includes/etc/init.d/diskmounter.sh
and chmod +x config/chroot_local-includes/etc/init.d/diskmounter.sh

Then I followed the instructions for question 11 in the FAQ (Q: How do I
disable services permanently? (Be careful!)) -- although I enabled the
diskmounter script instead of disabling it, but the concept is the same.

-----------------------
#!/bin/sh
echo "I: enable diskmounter service"
update-rc.d diskmounter.sh defaults 80
-----------------------
I put the script above in config/chroot_local-hooks/01-enable_diskmounter.sh

then chmod +x config/chroot_local-hooks/01-enable_diskmounter.sh

This seems to work just fine.  You may want to edit the diskmounter.sh script
to keep it from asking you a question (and holding up the remainder of the
initscripts), but that's up to you.

> What then happens on shutdown? I would expect that the CD gets ejected.
It should, I tested the process on the net image, so there was no cd to eject.
> And not that some services get re-started.
You have to really know what you're doing to get update-rc.d to enable a
service during rc 0 or 6, so I wouldn't worry much about that.  You can read
the output of the update-rc.d command while it builds to insure that's not
happening when you do this.

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson