Todo for making lenny release and getting official

Daniel Baumann wrote:

>   * upload live-helper 1.0 and ask for lenny freeze exception
>   * upload live-initramfs 1.138-1 and ask for lenny freeze exception

  * upload live-magic n+1 and ask for lenny freeze exception

live-magic currently contains some Etchisms. For example it defaults to
building etch images, which is rather unsuitable for lenny. These changes
depend on knowing the name of lenny+1, which we won't be decided for little
while - hopefully there will be some overlap.

>   * Upload new autobuild images for amd64/i386/powerpc and sparc (unsure
>     about status about sparc, though).

The status of sparc is that it worked for me under Etch when I initially
ported it but I've never tested lenny images (as my machine was being used as
a router at the time and qemu does not support sparc64). I'm pretty sure I
have built them without problems, however.

   * live-initramfs boot sequence

I think mammadori mentioned it last night on IRC but live-initramfs is
really ugly when booting. This is more of an RFC than a wishlist; I would
like to know what others think before I start patching stuff. There are
really three things I can think of:

 1. Various error messages are printed that are not fatal to the boot
    sequence. For example, messages from mount and losetup.

 2. Status messages are printed as "Doing foo...\nDone." instead of "Doing
    foo...Done." which does not look very nice. I can't seem to find any
    commits that introduced this, so it may be an issue elsewhere.

 3. Lastly, we *really* need to print some helpful information when
    live-initramfs fails to boot.

    There have been many times people have popped into IRC or this mailing
    list with good intentions but only the boot failure as information. This
    is usually annoying for everybody involved as you have no idea what went
    wrong from a "The job control is turned off..how do I turn it back on?"
    style report.

    I think a message along the lines of:

    |                           BOOT FAILED !!!                             |
    |       This Debian Live image failed to boot for some reason!          |
    | If you can reproduce the problem, please consider filing a bug        |
    | against the  "live-initramfs" package by emailing                     |
    | <debian-live-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org> making sure to note the   |
    | version (__VER__) and the exact name or distribution of the image     |
    | you were attempting to boot.                                          |
    | The file /live.log contains some debugging information but booting    |
    | with the "debug" command-line parameter will increase the verbosity   |
    | which can be extremely useful when attempting to fix the issue.       |
    | live-initramfs will now start a Busybox shell to allow you to attempt |
    | to diagnose the problem..                                             |

    ...couldn't hurt and will prevent someone giving up after seeing an
    unfamiliar prompt. (Bonus points for a colour Debian swirl in the
    message, naturally.)

  * live-installer

live-installer needs more testing - the version in testing is broken (2 more
days needed to migrate). I've done a few small test installs which worked
great with the sid version but nothing large or with X.Org. Anyone wishing
to test it right now should but live-installer (>= 6) in chroot_local-udebs
and set LH_DEBIAN_INSTALLER="live".

Regards,

Chris Lamb, UK                                       chris at chris-lamb.co.uk
                                                            GPG: 0x634F9A20